“The Navigation” in Crumlin, Gwent, is an historic Welsh colliery site. The sinking of the mine shafts was begun in 1907 by Partridge, Jones & Company Ltd and the mine was in full production by 1911. The National Coal Board took over the Navigation at the time of Nationalisation in 1947 and the mine continued to produce coal until 1967.
Currently the site is being maintained and managed by “The Friends of The Navigation”, a team of dedicated volunteers, with the aim of restoring the site and buildings and bringing them back into use for the community.
“Glofa Navigation Cyf” is a Company limited by guarantee and a Registered Charity, working in partnership with the site owners, the South Wales Building Preservation Trust, to restore and regenerate the buildings and surrounds.
Refer to the “About Us” pages for more detailed information about the various parts of the overall organisation which consists of:
The Friends of The Navigation, Glofa Navigation Cyf, South Wales Building Preservation Trust, Crumlin Community Enterprises CIC and Crumlin Hydro CBC.
You are always welcome to contact us using the relevant page of this website if further information is required.